Sunday, January 28, 2007

Big Brother: Jo denies racism after eviction

Former pop singer Jo O'Meara has denied being racist after she and actress Cleo Rocos were evicted from Channel 4's Celebrity Big Brother by the public, leaving Indian cine star Shilpa Shetty as one of the favourites to win.

Former S Club 7 singer Jo, who was involved in a reported race row which saw Jade Goody and her mother bullying Shilpa Shetty, received almost 48 per cent of the vote, while 28 per cent viewers wanted Rocos to go.

Now 31-year-old Shilpa Shetty, former A-Team actor Dirk Benedict and ex-Steps singer Ian "H" Watkins are up for eviction. Shilpa is now odds-on favourite to win when the show ends on Sunday.

Pop Star Jermaine Jackson, model Danielle Lloyd and Goody's boyfriend Jack Tweed are also still in the reality TV house. In an interview with Big Brother presenter Davina McCall after she was evicted, Jo denied she was racist. When showed footage of the moments that caused the international row, she said, "Looking at it, it looks absolutely terrible, but inside it didn't feel terrible."

But she told host McCall that the edited version of events distorted what really went on. Of the comments she made about Shilpa while in the house, she said, "I never meant it in that way. I'm not a racist. I know that I'm not. I'm not going to deny that Shilpa did aggravate me a lot - you can't click with everybody, you meet. It's not because I'm racist. I think she's a very beautiful, very elegant woman."

No comments: